Pages

Sunday 16 June 2013

Seeing Thankfulness: Week Two


This post is a little bit late as I have had a manic past few days. So, here is what I intended to post on Friday:

This week I am thankful for...

...my husband. Here he is pictured just at the start of the Seaford Half Marathon last Saturday. The race is predominantly off-road, starting on Seaford Seafront, on over the South Downs, along the River Cuckmere, and up and then down Seaford Head back onto the seafront. He did really well. I admire his determination to succeed in all that he does, which is why I wanted to include this photo of him running. He has the same passion and drive for all his interests - running, photography, youth work, cooking, stand-up comedy, subterranean exploration, and most especially science. He inspires me to strive for better in the things that I love.

It was also his birthday this week, and I was reminded again how thankful I am that he is such a big part of my life, that he loves me so much, that I can be myself around him 100% of the time, that I can share everything with him, and that he is an awesome cook. I am thankful that he is my best friend and confidante. And I am also thankful for his amazing hugs.

...Victorian innovation and technology...I guess... I mean, I'm not ungrateful for it. We went to the Bluebell Railway, our local steam railway - most regions in Britain have one or two - for my husband's birthday, and I don't really know how else to be thankful for stream trains, but they look pretty cool and they're fun to go for a ride on. So, yeah, here's a picture of a steam train chugging  into Horsted Keynes Station on the Bluebell Railway!

...that my parents never made us put Oxo cubes in our milk, bleurgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


...that the violas we planted in May have flowered beautifully. They're like happy, smiley faces and have sprung up cheerily all over the flowerbed.

...roses. This is the rose tree in our garden that has flowered beautifully, as it does every June. I absolutely love roses!

...that I live in an historical town. It really is a great place, with old houses and flint walls everywhere. The castle sits proudly in the middle, and is a constant reminder of days gone past when blood was shed in great Medieval battles, when the majestic priory was destroyed during Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries, and when Protestant martyrs were burnt at the stake during Mary I's reign, as well as numerous other feats of history. Whatever may annoy about my town, I am thankful for the fascinating history that whispers from its walls and roads each day.

...water. This is the ruins of a water fight night that we held at the youth group. I am thankful that water is so abundant in this country that we have plenty to play with, let alone to drink, wash and cook with. I want to always be thankful for the provision we have so that I may keep campaigning for those who don't.

Well it's been quite a week. I have had so much more to be thankful for that I haven't been able to take pictures of, but I do love that this project has helped me to be more intentional in my thankfulness, which was Kayleigh's aim with this link-up.

Photos my own.

4 comments:

  1. I so wish I had a castle in my town!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come and live in Britain, there's a fair few scattered around! Although you do get much better weather in Oz ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh that is so neat that your husband did a marathon...I admire people who can do those...no easy feat! I think steam engines are magical...I'd like to board one and set out for unknown destinations...or like hogwarts. That would be cool too.
    The flowers blooming in your garden look absolutely stunning. I try to remind myself whenever I see flowers that 'there look! God directed those flowers right there to bloom for me!"...he "sends us flowers" all the time...how amazing!! :)

    I think to have a castle in my city would be phenomenal!...I'm wondering how many I might find near where I'll be in Derby??!! Can't wait to explore :)

    You'll have to post some photos of Rome if you can! i'd love to see them if you care to share! :) Have a lovely weekend, friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanine. It was his third half marathon - he has a lot of determination, especially for someone who is still fairly new to running. He has a difficult cross-country full marathon coming up this autumn!

      I don't know Derbyshire at all but I'm sure there are castles around. I recommend checking out the English Heritage and National Trust websites for information, as you can search for their historical properties by geographical area that way. I can recommend lots of castles in southern England however!

      I plan to write my first post about Rome very soon, and I will be including photos! I'll admit that I'm a little distracted by the excellent weather we are experiencing at the moment (you never know how long it will last so you have to make the most of it while you can!), but I have not forgotten about my blog :)

      Delete