Pages

Monday 24 December 2012

Christmas Cheer



I cannot believe it is Christmas Eve already! I have just done a half day at work, met up for lunch with one of my best friends, and am now home about to get on with some chores before some friends come to dinner, we go to the pub for another friend's birthday drinks, and then onto Midnight Communion when Christmas Day will begin!

Getting into the Christmas spirit has been a little difficult, which it always seems to be for me nowadays. One of the main culprits for this is the weather - gale force winds and heavy rain. We're always dreaming of a white Christmas here, but we usually never get one. Tomorrow will be as bleak as today most likely,.perhaps with a few sunny spells if we're lucky.

The other culprit was being ill at the beginning of the month. My husband had a horrible cold that kept him off work for the best part of a week, and a few days later I was struck with the same. In my case it has lingered and lingered and lingered. I'm still stuffed up and coughing now, but at least my voice has almost returned to normal and I can finally sing carols again, hooray!

Yesterday we had the beautiful carol service at church. Afterwards we went out carol singing around town with the youth group. It was a real joy to be out and about spreading cheer, despite the rain and the chilly wind.

The rest of the weekend my husband and I have been busy making gingerbread cookies, chocolate Yule logs, and chocolate truffles, as well as wrapping presents and doing some other last minute prep. All in all that has led to us feeling a lot more festive.

I learnt long ago not to expect too much from Christmas, and to focus particularly on the message of Advent and the birth of Christ. As a result, and as I've grown closer to God, I always eventually reach that point where the magic begins to seep in again. The excitement of my childhood returns, and I begin to feel the joy. I love the truth of the Christmas message, but I also love the time spent with family and friends and all the preparations that lead into that.

I hope and pray that every Christmas my focus will always be on the arrival of God as Man and what that means for my life, and I am thankful that right now I am able to enjoy the festive spirit.

A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!


This is my county's carol and a family favourite. Enjoy :)

Photo my own.

4 comments:

  1. Would you share your recipe for chocolate truffles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have an e-mail address I can send them to? Mine is on my 'About Me' page - if you drop me a line there, I'll send you the recipe :)

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about struggling to find Christmas cheer sometimes. Hope the day was awesome for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a lovely Christmas break with family and friends, and we've refused to let the severe wind and rain get us down! Hope you had a fab Christmas too :D

      Delete