Pages

Sunday 23 September 2012

If You Want to Know A Little More About Me...

Back in July the lovely Kayleigh of A Million Little Somethings gave me a Liebster Award on her blog. Unfortunately it's taken me longer than I would like to, to respond. But here I am feeling bleurgh with a cold, and it seemed like a good time to finally respond! So thank you Kayleigh for awarding it to me. It is an honour :)


I've posted the award rules at the end.

11 Facts About Me
  • September is my birthday month - a few days ago I turned 28, eep!
  • I didn't go shopping for my wedding dress. I have no idea why, but the thought of trawling through bridal wear shops filled me with dread. I had very specific ideas about what I wanted, and I found the perfect dress online, had it made to my measurements, and then refitted by a local seamstress once I had it in my possession. To this day I still don't regret not going shopping and trying on gazillions of meringue-esque dresses in advance of finding "the one". You can read my testimonial of my dress (and see a picture) on the Conscious Elegance website. My review is about half way down the page - I wore the Tabitha design.
  • I'm quite good at doing impressions of other people, but usually only when I don't realise I'm doing it - such as when reliving a situation on behalf of others. I can't do such impressions under pressure, like when people say "I want to hear your whatshisname impression!" Argh! I especially have to watch this 'characteristic' of mine when at work.
  • I love polar bears. 
  • I hate leaving the house without a bottle of water. Even if I'm not thirsty while I'm out, I will instantly become so if I realise I've forgotten to bring any water with me.
  • Because I think a lot, and like to remember happy times a lot, I am prone to random fits of laughter in inappropriate places, like walking along the street or sitting on the train, when other people will slowly move away from me as though I am a crazy person.
  • Speaking of laughing, the gym keeps making me laugh. Whether it's the ludicrous scene of rows of people exhausting themselves on machines, or the muscly men admiring their bulges in the giant mirrors, I often get the giggles when I should be concentrating on my own workout.
  • My town is within the South Downs National Park, and I really love the South Downs, from admiring the view on my train journey to work, to going on long walks on them with my husband, they will always be special to me wherever else I may end up going in the world.
  • I would genuinely struggle to get through each day without tea.
  • I am surprisingly good at baking. Since housewifely duties generally don't come to me naturally, I'm pretty chuffed about my successful cakes!
  • In my first year at university I slummed it true student style in a hideous breeze-block hall of residence that resembled a prison/cheap holiday apartments/hospital. This was more than made up for by a massive room between two turrets in this gorgeous building for my third year:
The beautiful Founders Building at Royal Holloway

Kayleigh's Questions

1. Do you use pinterest? If so, what is one pin that you wish you could just *poof* make real?
I mainly use Pinterest to find projects for the house or garden that I can actually attempt to do, as I know I would be stuck on there for too many hours than is healthy if I look at all the beautiful things that I would love to have. But, I do have a couple of boards for things that I like, but may never have or be able to make. The one thing from these that I would love to just appear from that would be this amazing Totoro cake. It's just incredible! I would love to make one for someone like my brother's girlfriend, but my sugar craft and general (lack of) artistic ability are just not up to scratch.

Look how epic it is!

2. When you choose to follow a blog, what kind of things are you looking for?
I read quite a variety of blogs, so it could be anything really. I like to follow other Christian blogs because I like to have my faith challenged, and I also value the support I've received from meeting other Christians online. Other than that I mostly enjoy humour and geeky blogs because they appeal to my sense of fun, and they're just so well written that I love reading them.
I also follow some blogs of friends, which vary from being based at their home-run craft business to their cooking adventures. Because so many of my friends live all over the place, their blogs can be a more informative way of keeping up with their news than Facebook.

3. What is your all-time favorite coffee drink?
I don't really drink coffee, mainly because it gives me a tummy ache. Also, although I love the smell I'm not big on the taste unless I add lots of sugar, so it's not very good for my teeth. Having said that, the best coffee by far that I have ever drunk was when I was in Brazil six years ago. We had fresh coffee every morning, and with a small squirt of this sweetening syrup that they had, it was really delicious. And it did not give me a tummy ache, so I was able to drink it the whole time I was there, which was a nice treat. But usually, no, I can't drink it.
I drink lots of tea though...

4. What is your dream job?
To be a full-time writer. This has always been my dream job, and I don't think it will ever change. I'm half way there, but I think I'll hit the 'dream' target when I've got something published, with a view to publishing more in the future.

5. Besides working, what do you spend the most time doing in a typical week?
Quite a lot of things, really. There's all the usual things like cooking dinner, chores, wasting time on the computer, and lots of church related stuff. It's difficult to say which of these takes up the most time because I guess it varies from week to week, and season to season. I guess if I made a spreadsheet and tried to figure it out then the winner would probably be spending time on the computer - Facestalking, catching up on blogs, playing computer games, and watching TV. I hate to admit to spending so much time in front of a screen. Thank goodness I no longer play World of Warcraft or it would be even worse!

6. What are you MOST thankful for right now?
My husband. He is my best friend, and my rock, and he is also looking after me whilst I am ill :)

7. Why did you choose to start a blog and what keeps you going?
I started a blog of sorts about seven years ago on Bebo, because I liked sharing amusing tales of happenings in my life. I decided to start a blog after I'd read a few that people had started at university, and realised that I was basically blogging already only I was using Bebo and Facebook to do it.
I love to write, which keeps me going. It's not always easy, and often my blog doesn't feel like 'real writing', but even then I find it is a good place to get the creative juices flowing if I'm struggling with my fiction. Usually sharing the story of an exciting adventure gets my brain whirring enough to kick start my other writing. Also, I've realised over the past few months how much feedback means to me, so receiving comments is great, That, and I really enjoy reading other people's blogs and meeting people that way. I guess all of that keeps me motivated to blog.

8. If you could choose, what view would be outside of the window you look through most often?
To be honest, my view out of the study window where I sit to write is really very good, and quite inspirational when I remember to look at it!
Despite that, I do still dream of living in a country house where my view is of unspoilt countryside – open fields flanked by forests and hills.

9. Besides your blog, what is your favorite social networking site to spend time on?
I guess it would have to be Facebook, which I have a bit of a love/hate relationship. I've wasted so much time on that wretched website, and yet it still remains one of the best ways to keep in touch with friends. I love using it to share photos, and it is also very popular for people to send out invitations to events via that and no other means.

10. What is your favorite childhood memory?
It's just not possible for me to answer this question, as there are far too many wonderful memories that could be classed as my favourite. Most of my special childhood memories involve my family, but I also loved primary school when I was little, so there's probably some there too. I can't even decide which one to give as an example, there are too many good ones! I'll have to get back to you on that.

11. If you could be a character in any book or movie, who would you be?
I think I would like to be Eowyn from Lord of the Rings. When I was a teenager and in my early twenties I wanted to be an actress, and Eowyn was all the things I wanted in a female character – interesting and emotional story, long flowing hair, stunning dresses, kick-ass with a sword!

I nominate the lovely ladies of these blogs, that I really enjoy reading:

Lozzz123 at Science, Spouses and Silliness
Jeanine at Wayfaring Girl on a Mission
Emily at Love Woke Me Up This Morning
Kirsti at A Quick Succession of Busy Nothings
Sara at For When Thinking Isn't Enough

Nominees, you don't have to respond to this if you don't want as I know they go round and round a lot, but if you fancy responding to any of the questions on your blogs or in the comments I would be honoured :)


My Questions
1. If you could befriend any Disney villain and help them mend their ways, who would you choose and why?
2. You've been invited to a fairy tale themed fancy dress party. Who or what do you dress as? (I need inspiration for attending such a party myself!)
3. If you could choose any activity to be made an official Olympics sport, what would you pick?
4. Where in the world would you most like to go that you haven't already been to?
5. What is your ultimate karaoke song? If you don't ever do karaoke, what would it be if you were forced to sing?
6. If you could have any famous historical figure over for dinner, who would you invite?
7. If you went to Hogwarts, which house do you think the Sorting Hat would place you in?
8. What was the best science experiment you did, or saw your teacher do, at school?
9. What's your favourite way to spend a hot summer's day?
10. What's your favourite way to spend a freezing cold winter's day?
11. If you could dye your hair any colour you wanted just for fun, which colour would you choose?


These are the rules linked to the award:

1. Thank your Liebster Blog Award Presenter on your blog.
2. Link back to the blogger who awarded you.
3. Copy and Paste the award to your blog.
4. Nominate at least 5 blogs (up to 11) to receive the award.
5. Inform them of their nomination by leaving a comment on their blog.
6. Include 11 random facts about yourself in your post.
7. Answer the 11 questions the person that has nominated asked you and create 11 new questions for the people you have nominated.


Totoro Cake from imgfave and also on my Pinterest page - please message me if you would like to 'follow' my Pinterest boards
Founders Building from the Royal Holloway, University of London website

8 comments:

  1. Same here - I dislike Facebook but it's the only way to keep in touch with some people. I miss the days when blogs and personal websites were more popular, and only this certain "cult group" of people had them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say I know what you mean, but I created my blog in the face of the post-Facebook explosion so I don't really know what it was like before. I discovered some uni friends had blogs, thanks to links on Facebook, and it was after lots of umming and aahing that I decided to create my own.

      Delete
  2. Argh - I read this on my phone on the way home from uni when you posted this, and then totally forgot to comment when I got home. A belated happy birthday!! And that cake is AMAZING. I'd love to have the skills to make something like that.

    I'll answer your questions in the next couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I look forward to reading you response :)

      Delete
  3. Similarly to Kirsti, I read this on my phone and so didn't comment at the time.
    Thanks so much for nominating me! I really appreciate it. If you're happy to read it all here I can answer your questions:

    1. Maybe Cruella deVil, since I love puppies!
    2. Leprechaun?
    3. Debating. I want to give nerds more chances to win stuff haha (I feel I'm allowed to say this, being a giant nerd myself).
    4. Oh there's so many places! It changes, but today I'll say Norway, to see the Northern Lights
    5. Probably a Backstreet Boys song, since I learned so many of them by heart when I was a teenager!!
    6. William James. He's very well known in Psychology. He was so smart though I might be too afraid to talk to him!
    7. Ravenclaw
    8. A balloon was dipped in liquid nitrogen. The air turns to liquid and the balloon shrinks, but once it's back it the open it expands again - awesome!
    9. I don't enjoy the heat, so I'd probably say in front of aircon. However we do have a beach nearby so a swim is pretty nice too.
    10. Rugged up on the lounge watching dvds (preferably Pride and Prejudice BBC)
    11. Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying - love your answers!

      I'd love to go to Norway to see the Northern Lights too, that would be amazing.

      Our school never did anything as exciting as dipping a balloon in liquid nitrogen. The most exciting it got for us was setting light to a piece of magnesium and it creating a white flame. Although it was pretty cool to a bunch of school kids, I can't help but feel that we were missing out on some more fun experiments!

      Delete
  4. I'm sad I missed this post! :( I loved reading more about you as always. I want a slice of that cake above and then a second one that I cancrystallise so I can have it forever!!! Sooo cute :) I think that is the coolest thing ever that you are good at impressions...i would LOVE to see one. I am so horrible at imitating anybody it's really ridiculous. People would throw very large tomatoes at me if I started...I love Eowyn's character as well and that she got to marry hunky Faromir. Sign me up for her, too! haha I am going to answer as many questions as I can in post coming up. thanks you girly!!!!! Keep WRITING!!!! :)
    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that cake is really too beautiful to eat, but if you could have two then you get the best of both worlds!

      Aside from the fact that I am a happily married woman I certainly wouldn't complain about Faramir, although I'm more of an Aragorn girl ;)

      And I will keep writing, don't worry! I'm planning to do some holiday posts very soon :D

      Delete