Pages

Thursday 17 May 2012

Bayham Abbey

When I was younger my parents used to love taking my brothers and I out for the day to an English Heritage or National Trust property where we could spend quality time together as a family, learning about history, conservation, plants, or wildlife. My parents could also have some peace and quiet whilst my brothers and I ran around playing games in a safe yet adventurous environment.

One of their favourite places was Bayham Abbey, situated in the middle of nowhere on the Kent/Sussex border. The abbey was constructed in the 13th century, and is in ruins like the majority of abbeys and priories in England, thanks to Henry VIII. Despite being just a shell of its former self it was a brilliant place to explore. My brothers and I would make up all kinds of games, running between pillars, through doorways, and searching every nook and cranny for the best hiding places. The abbey is surrounded by beautiful countryside, so my parents would just sit back and relax, watching us play, absorbing the tranquillity.



It was this tranquillity that I was hankering after last weekend, when finally, amidst this wet spring, a sunny Saturday was upon us and it would have been criminal to stay indoors. My husband and I joined one of our friends with our picnic and we headed up to the abbey for some rest and relaxation.

It was just like I remembered, beautifully peaceful, and the perfect setting for forgetting life's stresses for a few hours.



We relaxed, chatted, soaked in the surroundings, and then ran around the ruins being very silly with our cameras. It was the best of both worlds.

































I have very fond memories of many English Heritage and National Trust properties, but I love making new ones in them with my husband and friends.

PS. It was chillier than expected, so I tried out a new fashion - wrapping oneself in a picnic blanket - what do you think?

Photos my own.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that last picture! It's so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks, we're models in the making...!

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks amazing. I would love to explore places like that. It makes me hope even more that I get a job in the UK next year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yeah, that'd be cool :) If you do I'm more than happy to give recommendations or tips on exciting places to go, although there are so many parts of the country I haven't yet explored myself!

      Delete