Pages

Saturday 10 December 2011

Bleurgh!

I'm still ill, bah! My throat is really sore. I don't really feel sorry for myself so much now, as just irritated. I can't go to a girls brunch this morning with some of my church friends because I don't want to infect them with anything nasty.

So wrapped up in blankets again I have turned to my blog, and lacking in inspiration as I am when I'm poorly, thought I would do this little questionnaire which I have taken from Jeanine of Wayfaring Girl on a Mission and K.Elizabeth of A Million Little Somethings.

Here are some vaguely interesting facts about me:

Bodiam Castle in Sussex

1. What's the nerdiest and/or weirdest thing about you?
There are many things to choose from. What stands out the most though? Mmm. Well I used to play World of Warcraft, which is fairly nerdy. However, I think my love of history is where I am at my nerdiest. I'm the kind of person that will sit and criticise historical inaccuracies in films and TV series (Rome usually made me want to throw things at the TV!), my favourite task at my old job was historical GIS mapping, my favourite places to visit are castles, and I can't help but laugh at things like this:


It takes my breath away...

2. If you could live in a fictional universe from any book, movie, or television show, what would it be?
I think I would probably choose Narnia. I can't describe the excitement I felt when I was little and watched the old series on TV, or when I read the books. The Chronicles of Narnia are one of my biggest inspirations as a writer, and so living in Narnia itself would be simply amazing.

3. Little or big, practical or frivolous, what are a few favourite items in your house?
Our bed definitely - a memory foam mattress and deliciously soft organic cotton linen makes it very difficult to leave in the mornings, especially in the depths of winter! 
I also love my dragon tree, called Dylan because I have lovingly nurtured him since my first year at university - the poor thing has survived being under watered, knocked over by a careless housemate, and living in a cold draught when it is a hot weather loving plant. Thankfully, nowadays he is flourishing. 
Other things worthy of high favour are: the electric whisk, the camera, my teddy bear, and photos, photos, photos!

4. Do you like animated movies? If so, which is your favourite?
YES! I love Disney, but I am also a huge fan of Studio Ghibli. My all time favourite Disney film is Beauty and the Beast, followed by The Lion King, Snow White, and Mulan
My all time favourite Studio Ghibli film is Laputa: Castle in the Sky, followed by Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away. However, My Neighbour Totoro is the one film that always cheers me up when I'm sad - I can watch it in Japanese or English and still it makes me smile, every time :)
Ooh yes, and as it's nearly Christmas, my firm festive favourite, that always reduces me to tears, is The Snowman.

'Carrying You' from Laputa played at the church before I made my entrance on our wedding day

5. What is your least favourite household chore?
All of them.

6. What's your favourite thing to get at Starbucks (or favourite coffee shop)?
I'm more of a tea room girl myself. Nothing beats afternoon tea, especially after a long countryside walk or ancient ruin exploration!

7. What is your favourite pizza topping?
Ham and pineapple.

8. Waffles or pancakes?
Waffles.

9. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Ballerina, nurse, teacher, actress, but most of all an author.

10. Do you prefer cooking or baking?
Cooking I think, although I have recently discovered that I can actually bake and that I rather enjoy it.

11. What would be your dream job?
Writing, writing, writing...

12. Do you make your bed every morning?
*snort* No!

13. Picasso or Norman Rockwell?
I have no idea who Norman Rockwell is! I am so uncultured when it comes to art, something I have oft been berated for. I admire it, but I don't get passionate about it...sorry...I have a heart of stone, I know...

14. Do you like carpet, tile or hardwood floors?
Hardwood definitely. I have noticed that when you put a small rug down on a hardwood floor you can gracefully slide from one end of the room to the other.

15. What is your least favourite thing about yourself?
We won't go there.

16. Last movie you watched?
Easy Virtue.

17. Computer or Television?
Computer! Every time, yes yes, we don't even have a television!

18. Favourite sound?
Birdsong. As a country girl at heart, birdsong anywhere lifts my spirits and makes me feel at home in some way.

19. If you could have a $5000 shopping spree to one store, which would it be?
Firstly, I would convert it into stirling of course. Then, mmm, how do I choose!? Probably Steamer Trading. So much uber kitchen gear it makes both me and my husband drool every time we go in there. I always promised we'd buy a KitchenAid food mixer when we have more money than sense so a shopping spree at one particular store seems to be the perfect excuse!

Practical, pretty, pricey

20. If you could be any Jane Austen fictional character who would you choose?
Elizabeth Bennet. I love her wit and her honesty, that she speaks her mind. I also admire her loyalty to her family, even when they drive her mad. Pride and Prejudice made me laugh out loud when I read it, and that was usually in scenes involving Lizzie, most notably her rejection of Mr Collins' marriage proposal. And of course, I'm also a big fan of the developing relationship between Lizzie and Mr Darcy throughout the book.

Bodiam Castle photo my own.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, so wow. That video was hysterical! What a fun way to learn about history :))

    And I'd move in to the Beaver's home if I could. So comfy and snug. Love Narnia :))

    A tea room! How lovely. We don't have many here but there is actually one a few towns over from me and I am so going as soon as I can for some High Tea :))) Wish we had as many of them as we do Starbucks here :)))

    Love P&P. Lizzie story is genius. I love Austen :))

    I had fun getting to know you a little better!!!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeanine, and thank you for giving me something to do while I was bored and full of cold :)

    I found the Horrible Histories video thanks to a friend who is currently training to be a history teacher, and according to the kids at our church youth group these videos are a well-loved resource in history lessons nowadays. Wish they had been available when I was at school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love castles too - that's a great picture! I'm very interested in history too, but the main thing I criticise on TV is science inaccuracies in crime shows!

    I think I would also choose to be Lizzie Bennet, though I think I am most like Anne from Persuasion, which is my favourite Austen book.

    Hope you feel better soon (I'm actually home sick too - blergh).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lozzz :) Bodiam Castle is one of my personal favourites.

    My husband is a scientist, so he criticises the science in TV shows too, particularly on CSI and House, even though they are two of his favourite programmes ;)

    Hope you feel better soon too. I just have a croaky voice and a persistent cough now, so I sound worse than I was but I'm actually feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete