Pages

Thursday 23 July 2009

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man!

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed under general anaesthetic yesterday. I'm on a cocktail of drugs to help ease pain and decrease the risk of infection. The house is stocked to the brim with soups, smoothies, mousses, and ice-cream which I am indulging in until it is safe to eat solids again!

It was the first time I have ever had an operation of any kind. I've never even had a standard tooth extraction under local anaesthetic, so I didn't know what to expect. The whole experience was a little surreal. I had been very nervous beforehand, but had begun to feel a peace about it all by the time we rocked up at the day surgery. My fiance and my mum came to the hospital with me and stayed with me until I was called to gown up ready for the op. Shortly after I was wheeled from the recovery room to the ward I saw them wander in, and was able to limply wave at them. I was so glad to have them there. It was a simple procedure, and it all went well. I still have a numb lip and tongue, but that's normal. I'm very tired still, the pain comes and goes, especially on my left-side as that is where they had to remove some bone too, yeuch! And that is also why I look like Popeye! Hopefully I will look less like him before I start my new job next week!

My fiance is proving to be a wonderful nurse and is taking great care of me. Knowing I had him and my mum to wake up too helped me immensely, but it was God who really kept me cool throughout. Even a simple procedure like mine was daunting for me. I didn't like the idea of going under anaesthetic whilst someone sliced at gums and teeth (Who named them wisdom teeth for goodness sake??? It's so ridiculous!), and I was a little afraid that there would be lots of blood and adverse consequences to the op. Many people offered kind words and support, others would scare me with horror stories, but God, and the people who put round me, showed me there was nothing to be afraid of.

I am back home, in some pain, being taken care of, I look like Popeye, and now I fancy some soft pudding, hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment