Pages

Monday 20 July 2009

Black Holes

On Saturday my belly dancing class held an 'Arabian Nights' party in order to raise some money for the local village hall. It was great fun. My fiance made loads of Moroccan style food - couscous, tabouleh, houmous and flat bread - bizarrely most other people bought standard quiches and sausage rolls...but they can't all be as talented as he is ;)

The dances all went really well. It was my class' first time putting on a show, and thankfully everyone loved it. Luckily for me, the table I happened to be dancing nearest to most of the time was where my fiance, our housemate, and some friends of my brother and his girlfriend were sitting. I would have felt a little uncomfortable shimmying that close to a bunch of strangers!

Anyway, I am pleased to say that mine and my brother's girlfriend's duet went brilliantly. We managed to find proper belly dancing skirts made of black chiffon from Bellylicious (see my post 'Fashion is my Foe'). Our dance was inspired by this article I found on twin black holes that dance around each other, so what better song to set it to that one by our favourite band? We danced to 'Supermassive Black Hole' by Muse, which we had previously decided was crying out for some good belly dancing choreography :D We wore black, purple and silver to represent the sparkling universe, and used big black satin-y veils, decorated with silver stars. The idea was to give the impression of black holes dancing around each other. The audience loved it, so thankfully it went really well. We were both incredibly nervous, but hopefully we did both the song, and the concept of dancing black holes, justice.

I love dancing, and for me, being inspired by something like these black holes gives the dance meaning. Of course we had artistic licence and creativity to guide us - I'm sure the black holes don't really look like two young women swinging pretty veils around, but they captured our imagination. It used to do a lot of dance and drama in my school days, especially improvisation, and this was the first time since then I was able to create something of that nature. It was so much fun that we are both thinking of what we should come up with next. Ideas on a postcard! And special thanks to my brother's girlfriend for being such an awesome dance partner - you rock! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment