Pages

Monday 19 August 2013

Summer Distractions

Oh blog how I have missed thee... The honest truth is I want to write but I feel like I can't. I am busy, it is true, but I am also struggling and the two together tend to have a detrimental effect on my writing as a whole. If I'm going to let my writing slide then blogging is the format that drops off of the radar first.

This summer has been full of distractions, good and bad. The good has helped with the bad, and that is the stuff that I want to share right now. Behold, if you will, a look into my good summer distractions:

Urban Exploration
I've mentioned before that this is one my husband's favourite hobbies. He usually goes exploring with one of our friends as I'm a bit of a Hermione Granger about these things, but I decided to join them on a few adventures this summer. We went in search of three abandoned train tunnels on lines that were closed after the Beeching Axe in the 1960s, an old mill, and a nuclear bunker that wasn't quite accessible. It was fun, and on one of the days we went out the sky was darkening menacingly as a storm brewed, a highly effective atmosphere for sneaking around outside an abandoned building, and we got to see some pretty impressive fork lightning on the way home.


Fancy Dress
On average I probably attend one fancy dress party a year, but we've been to three this summer alone. The first was an 80s Night to raise money for Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital, the second a 'Music' themed party for a friend's 30th birthday, and the third a 90s Party (inspired by the 80s one, having decided that the 90s is just about credibly vintage) for another friend's birthday. Each night was great. The 80s party involved hilarious karaoke, the Music night threw up some brilliant costumes, and the 90s night had great costumes as well as a fab playlist, if I may say so myself as I put it together. There was a lot of nostalgia at that party aided by the consumption of Iced Gems and Party Rings!

 A Graduation
At the beginning of July we went to London for my husband's MSc graduation at the Royal Festival Hall. It meant an extremely early morning and extortionately priced train tickets. It was great to celebrate my husband's success. I am very proud of him.

Tomfoolery
Sometimes when I'm tired and when I'm low I get random bursts of energy where I enjoy messing around. For the most part this has involved my husband and I successfully creating amusing status updates on Facebook for a couple of our friends over and over again. It's provided quite a lot of giggling and much amusement. But leaping around abandoned tunnels, playing pranks on the youth and other youth leaders, and running around the park pretending to be goblins have all proven to be very silly yet welcome distractions.



And now autumn is not too far away, which means all of my family's birthdays to look forward to, a special christening, the changing colours of nature, and hopefully plenty of adventures. But first, I am happy to enjoy just a bit more summer!

There will be some more posts on Rome coming soon too!

Photos my own.


4 comments:

  1. I wish I had more opportunities to wear fancy dresses! I love getting all pretty and putting something fancy on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These fancy dress parties were costume parties. I realised afterwards that's what they're called in America, which makes much more sense than 'fancy dress' but that's what they're always been called over here for some reason. But like you I also love opportunities to wear fancy dresses too! And my costume for the Music party was pretty fancy - I went as the Greek Muse of Dance and wore long flowing garments with gold spray-painted leaves in my hair :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like truly fun times...your urban explorations must have been fascinating...i would totally be tagging along if I could :)) Those fancy dress parties-particularly the themed ones sounds like a lot of fun. I went to an 80s themed party before and that was lots of fun...but i like the 'vintage inspired' theme too..that's a good one! i might have to throw one of those :) good idea. Good things ahead, my friend. God has good things ahead as we look forward with eager expectations :) Blessings girly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The are good fun. We did some more exploring last weekend too :)

      And thank you :)

      Delete