Pages

Thursday 4 March 2010

God's Little Gifts

Spring has sprung! I didn't want to go to work this week. It took an immense amount of effort to get out of bed on Monday morning.

But look! The sun was shining brightly, the sky a clear cloudless blue. Birds were singing and chirruping merrily. It was a little bit chilly, but still bright and beautiful. My mood as I walked to work was uplifted as I drank in the glory all around me. The final part of my daily walk to work is through a churchyard near the office. As I got through the gate I spied snowdrops dotted everywhere - in the bleak winter grey of the previous week I hadn't noticed them. Scattered amongst them were the tiny purple buds of crocuses beginning to appear. Then a blackbird darted out into the path in front of me, grabbed a worm in her beak, hopped a few paces back in the direction she had come, regarded me for a few moments, before quickly disappearing in the direction of her nest. I smiled to myself and almost skipped the last few yards to work.

I've been pretty down recently, and I can't say my week has been fab. I've mostly been worn out and very bored with my job, but there are those little things, those little gifts from God - the spring flowers, the birds, the sun shining instead of rain pouring on that 20 minute up-hill walk - that go a long way to lifting your spirit high out of the doldrums, at just the time when you need it. I love God. And I love His spring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment